
It rained last week, and as I was running shortly after the rain, I caught a whiff of some freshly cut wood. With the smell of the rain lingering in the air and the fresh wood smell, my run was so pleasant.
I was once told that how we tasted food was determine mostly (like 80%) by our sense of smell. So if you were blindfolded and given something to eat, but someone put an orange right under your nose for you to smell, whatever it was you were eating would taste like the orange. So between smell and taste, smell is the dominant sense.
My dad has lost his sense of smell completely. My husband's sense of smell is not the best. I think my sense of smell is one of my stronger senses, and most of the time, I'm thankful for it.
During my pregnancy, my sense of smell increased. I could smell things before they were close enough to see.
My favorite smells are probably strange to most people. I like the smell of a musty basement. I like the smell of skin. I like the smell of the dryer. I like the smell of leaves burning in the fall. Then there are the normal smells that almost everyone likes: baking cookies, flowers, etc.
It's so nice to be able to experience life to the fullest through our senses.
To see what others are thankful for today, visit:
Great post! There was a closet at my grandmother's house that I used to love to stick my head in and smell! It had the damp, musty smell - but not anything old-person-like or mothball yuck. No shame in liking that smell! My sense of smell while pregnant was one of the worst parts of pregnancy. My boss is a smoker and I could actually smell him coming from down the hall. BLEEEHk.
ReplyDelete