
The picture I took the first day Alan was in daycare, showing how much I missed him
This past weekend I went up to Epworth, GA to visit Rob's grandparents. It made me think of all the benefits of modern technology. Epworth is in the north Georgia mountains, very close to the Georgia-Tennessee boarder. And it is in the middle of nowhere; a place where your closest neighbor may not be within walking distance. Needless to say, I had no cell service while at his grandfather's house.
But even in Epworth, GA I could see modern technology everywhere. They have TVs and computers, microwaves, refrigerators, ovens, dishwashers. I could not imagine life without these conveniences.
This world is becoming so global. The company I work for has plants and/or offices in over 150 countries. In order to communicate with people across the seas, we have teleconferences, video conferences, instant messaging, email, an intranet site that we can use for collaboration on projects, webinars, etc. Without modern technology, none of this could happen. Can you imagine how long it would take to get a message to China using only the post office? And even then, the post office today uses so much technology to get there faster. What if they didn't have airplanes to fly letters across the oceans? How long would it take to get a message from the United States to China using absolutely no technology. How would you even do it? Horses and sailboats? My mind can't even grasp that.
We live in an instant gratification world. If we call or text someone and they don't answer right away, we get frustrated. If we need to know something, we pull out our smart phones and Google it and know the answer in an instant. Everything is at our fingertips. Sometimes that can be to our detriment, like constantly being connected to work and feeling like you are "on call" 24/7. But for the most part, I wouldn't change it for anything.
To see what others are thankful for today, visit:
No comments:
Post a Comment