Running is made much easier when there are good trails to run.
My favorite is the Cochran Shoals river trail along the Chattahoochee River. The trail is a 5k loop, but it also has some roads at either end that can extend the run to a 10 miler. Columns Drive is a straight, flat road at one end of the river trail that goes 2.5 miles out to a light. On the other end, if you turn left out of the river trail parking lot, the road goes up a big hill a mile to a light. This is my favorite place to do my 20 mile runs. If I put a water bottle somewhere along the course, it gives you plenty of opportunities to hydrate as you pass it. It is partially on packed gravel, so your joints don't wear out too badly. It has nice houses and scenery to look at as you go, and it is marked off by the quarter mile, so you know how long you've run.

Cochran Shoals river trail
During the week, I've started running on the Big Creek Greenway after work. It is a half mile to the greenway from the office, and the greenway spans eight miles from Roswell up to Alpharetta. I run to the greenway, run half the distance I want to get, and turn around and come back. It is very well maintained and is a beautiful, peacefull trail.

Big Creek Greenway
Aside from running, I love to hike. I try to get at least three hikes in each summer. The three that I typically do are: Stone Mountain, Anna Ruby Falls, and one up in Clayton, GA. I've also gone hiking in Big Canoe with my in-laws the past two years.

Hiking in Blairsville, GA 2005

Clayton hike 2006

Clayton hike 2007

Anna Ruby Falls hike 2008

Big Canoe 2009
To see what others are thankful for today, visit:
No comments:
Post a Comment