
I started college at Mars Hill College, a small baptist college near Asheville, NC, on a full-tuition scholarship. The college was too small for my taste, so I decided to look at other options.
I had been living in North Carolina over the summer after my freshman year, and decided to stay there and gain residency. During the process of gaining residency, I went to Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College for my sophomore year.
Once I gained residency, I applied to four different schools: Western Carolina University, Appalachian State, University of North Carolina at Asheville, and East Carolina University. I was accepted into all four, but decided to travel away from the western North Carolina area and enrolled at East Carolina University.
ECU has a five year program where you can get a Bachelors and Masters degree in Accounting together. Although some of my credits didn't transfer, and I had to take classes over the summer, I still managed to graduate in five total college years with my Master's degree.
My education prepared me for taking the CPA exam. Because of the way ECU set up their program and because of my great professors, I was able to pass the exam in one sitting.
My education has also allowed me to gain great experience with big companies. I have worked for two of the Big Four accounting firms. I have had my pick of jobs anytime I wanted a change.
While often times I wish I had gone to a school with bigger sports programs and that were closer to where I currently live, I am thankful that I had the opportunity to get a good education and that I chose a field that has a lot of possible career choices.
To see what others are thankful for today, visit:
No comments:
Post a Comment