The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Friday, January 15, 2010

No Rest for the Weary

It has gotten harder and harder to sleep at night. I know it's going to be bad in the third trimester, with that big belly making it difficult to find a comfortable position. But I never thought it would be as hard this early. I don't even show yet, and I haven't been comfortable enough to sleep well.

I have been trying to teach myself to lay on my left side, since apparently that is the side that is best for pregnant ladies to sleep on. The baby doesn't press against the Inferior Vena Cava (the vein that returns blood from the feet to the heart) when lying on the left side. It doesn't really matter right now, but since I'm so used to sleeping on my right side, I thought I would try to get used to sleeping on the other side.

Well, all it's doing is making it harder for me to sleep. When I take naps on the couch, I'm fine, because I can't really turn over anyway. But when I try to sleep at night, it isn't working.

Last night, for example, I actually slept well from 9:30 to 12:30. Then after I woke up to pee (another annoying sleep interrupter) I couldn't get back to sleep. I wasn't wide awake or anything. I was actually exhausted. But my body didn't want to fall into a nice sleep to rid it of the exhaustion.

Speaking of exhaustion...that's about all I have these days. I'm constantly tired. At work, all I do is watch the clock hoping I can get home to take a nap soon. My previously happy eyes have nothing but sleepiness in them. When I do get home, I have no energy to do the things I need to do (like brush the dog's teeth, call the Evangelism Committee Chair, go to the track to run my speedwork, etc). I can't stop yawning.

At least I get to sleep in tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Darling! Sleep on your right side!! It won't kill you! Sleep any way you can!! That was the thing that made Jason know that I was pregnant with Anastasia, because I fell asleep on the couch while we had guests over. I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you're so great! I slept pretty good last night. I think I'm getting used to sleeping on my left side more. But I have been sleeping some on my right still.

    I've been so tired that I have skipped several runs in the past couple of weeks. That is something that would have been unheard of prior to pregnancy! I'm ready for trimester 2 when the symptoms subside and I can just enjoy being pregnant.

    ReplyDelete