The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

And Then There Were Four

So, we started off keeping the secret from everyone but Sweta (since she already knew). Now four couples know.

I told my sister over Christmas, because she wouldn't be in town for the announcement in February.

Then on Friday when we had Christmas with the Simons/Andersons I decided to tell Allison/Eric. I felt it was only fair that one person in Rob's family knew if my sister knew. Plus, she would be a good support if something happens, and I end up miscarrying.

Rob also told his boss, because he wanted to try to work out the schedule so he can come to the doctor with me on Thursday.

So now four people know (and their spouses).

After telling Allison on Friday, I got a text from her on Saturday saying that I was never going to believe it. She had been having some nausea the past two nights and was two days late. It turns out, after I told her I was pregnant and put the thought in her head, she took a test and is pregnant too!

Last year, during our Alaska cruise, the goal was for both of us to get pregnant. That way we could have cousins around the same age and they could play and all that. Plus, we could go through the pregnancy together. Well, last year, I didn't get pregnant, and two months into Allison's pregnancy, she lost the baby.

I didn't really want to ask her about when they were going to start trying again, because I didn't want to bring up any bad memories. It is a sensitive subject, miscarrying. She had a very hard time with it, and now (more than ever) I can understand why.

Allison's due date (based on her LMP) is August 30th, 8 days after mine. Garrett was 8 days early, so it is very possible that our little ones could have the same birthday. It's also possible that she could have hers before I have mine, since the second usually comes earlier than the first.

Can I say that I'm a little jealous? I really have no reason to be, since we hadn't been really trying anymore. This pregnancy was a bit of a surprise to me, a welcome surprise. But once it happened, I had expected it to be just me. All attention to me and my new baby, my first baby. I'm already the second on both sides of the family to have kids, so I don't get the joy/excitement/spoiling of having the first grandchild. And to top it all off, I can't even have my own little moment anymore, but instead have to share it with my sister-in-law.

However, in the grand scheme of things I am super excited that we are both going to have a baby at the same time. I now have someone to go through this with, who knows what I'm going through, and who has been through it once before. I'm hoping that it will bring the two of us (Allison and me) closer together. The baby will automatically have a little cousin his/her age to play with, get in trouble with, and enjoy life with. It reminds me of when I was little, and my cousin Julie would come over to visit.

The benefits far outweigh the reasons for jealousy.

No comments:

Post a Comment