I have never been a competitive swimmer, but I've never been afraid of swimming either. When we were growing up, we would go to Lake Erie and go swimming. It was really more like splashing around at that point, but I never had problems with the water. I was home schooled in seventh grade, and we took swimming lessons at the YMCA for our PE class. I didn't have any problems then. When my grandparents got a pool, I would spend hours swimming around, diving down for pool toys, etc. When I went to Phoenix for an E&Y project a few years ago, I would go running in the morning and then change into my bathing suit and swim some laps in the pool to cool off. When I took a girls trip to Hawaii, I was the "strong swimmer" of the group and took Sweta and Sherry out to go snorkeling nearly every day we were there.
And all of this time, I have never had a fear of the water. I don't like getting water in my eyes, so most of the times mentioned above, I was wearing goggles or a mask or something and a nose plug to help me breathe better. But I was never afraid.
Rob has been saying that I should utilize the pool at K-C because it's supposed to be good for pregnancy. So yesterday, I brought my suit with me and after work went to the pool. The pool we have is an Olympic length, five lane lap pool. It was 3:00, so no one was there except me. I put my goggles and nose plug on and got into the pool. I went under to get myself wet and get used to the slightly cooler water. Then I looked down the length of the pool and started freaking out. I was just standing there, head above water in the 3 foot section, freaking out. I didn't even push off to try to swim. After about a minute or so, I just got out and went back in the locker room to change.
I don't know what has gotten into me. It has been awhile since I've been in a pool (other than just sitting dangling my feet in or the very short time I was in the pool in Daytona), but there has been no event that would have triggered this ridiculous fear.
Maybe it was because I was the only one there, in a huge box of water that got as much as 7 feet deep. If something had happened, no one would be there to help.
Maybe it was because the water was slightly colder than I would have liked. But I'm sure I would have warmed up when I was swimming.
Maybe I do have some subconscious fear of drowning the baby, which is ridiculous because the baby is already floating in a big bag of water.
I don't know. It's actually quite frustrating, and completely irrational.
No comments:
Post a Comment