The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Could my long runs be history for now?

Sometime last week, I think it may have been Monday night, I had a horrible night. I couldn't sleep. When I did sleep, I woke up every couple of hours extremely stiff. When I got up the next morning, I had some lower back pain whenever I stepped on my left foot. It wasn't unbearable, but it was definitely there.

Saturday I got up bright and early to attempt a 12 mile run. It had been two weeks since I had attempted this distance, as the prior week had been when I was spotting and did not run.

I drove over to the trail, my favorite long-run spot. It has bathrooms at least every 2.5 miles, which is helpful for someone whose bowels don't work like normal and for someone who has a baby pressing on her bladder. I can usually make it 2.5 miles before I absolutely have to go.

I began my run and everything seemed fine. When I stopped at the bathroom after the first 2.5 miles, my lower back pain was starting to flare up. It was still manageable, and actually felt a little better once I started running.

By 7.1 miles, the back pain had gotten so bad, I had to stop and walk. I ate my Lara Bar as I walked the next mile. Once I got back to the parking lot of the trail, the pain was bad enough that I didn't feel comfortable running.

I walked the remaining 2.5 miles to my car. As I was walking, I started to feel a popping in my back as well whenever I stepped on my left foot.

I called Rob to see if he could find a chiropractor open on Saturdays. However, with it being a holiday weekend, we didn't have any luck. The pain subsided throughout the day and was barely noticeable on Sunday.

I ran my 3 miles Monday morning, and the pain came back after the run. It wasn't as bad as Saturday, but it was definitely hurting.

I may be stuck with 3 milers from here on out. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment