I had my appointment with Kaiser on Tuesday. According to the midwife at my last appointment, I was supposed to have glucose tolerance test for gestational diabetes (GD) during this appointment.
The appointment was scheduled for 3:30, and the waiting room was busier than I've ever seen it before. We didn't get in until after 4. When the midwife came in and looked at my record, she asked if I already drank the stuff for the test. I told her no and she said that they should have done that, but they were so backed up today that they must have forgot.
I started asking questions about risks and change in care if I tested positive. She said that the main risk of having GD was the potential for having a big baby (over 10lbs is considered big). If I have a big baby, it would reduce the chance of a successful vaginal birth.
She said the change in care would consist of watching my diet (cutting out bad carbs), and testing myself with a glucometer four times a day (i.e. pricking my finger). I am more than willing to change my diet, but I am not going to prick my finger four times a day to check my glucose, even if I did test positive.
She said the test was highly recommended and that she has seen people with GD who had no symptoms. She said I could think about it and research it more and then make a decision in two weeks when I come back.
I don't mind drinking the stuff (although I've heard it tastes gross), but I am not so keen on getting more blood drawn.
I was debating even taking this test because of the needle. I am not high risk for GD. There's no family history that I know of (which is the highest risk factor), I eat fairly healthy (although I do enjoy my share of sweets every now and then - particularly ice cream), exercise on a regular basis, and have a BMI lower than 25 even with all the weight I've gained during this pregnancy. I don't really see a reason to have the test.
I have an appointment with the homebirth midwife next Tuesday. I'm going to ask her if she thinks it is necessary. If she is comfortable with a homebirth not knowing if I have GD and the baby might be big, then I'm comfortable not getting stuck with needles. If she thinks it is in my best interest (and her best interest) to get the test, I'll do the finger prick test with her after fasting for 12 hours instead of the full-blown needle test with Kaiser.
No comments:
Post a Comment