I had the best commute this morning. It was a cruise control ride (9 miles over the speed limit) all the way down Holcomb Bridge (which is 2/3 of my commute). Traffic was light. I hit almost all green lights. And I got the very first parking space when I got to work.
Then I opened my hatch to get my computer out...and it wasn't there. I hadn't put it back in my car after using it to work from home on Friday.
So, I got back in my car and drove all the way back home to get it. On the way back, as I was stopped at a yield sign waiting for a Yukon to pass by before proceeding, a kid hits me from behind.
If I hadn't forgotten my computer and had to go home, I never would have gotten rear-ended. If I had left a few minutes later or earlier, I never would have gotten hit.
No one was hurt. It was just a little fender bender. The damage is minimal, because, let's face it...I was stopped, and he couldn't have been going more than maybe 5 miles an hour or so. But it's enough that I'll probably have to get a new bumper. That means dealing with insurance agents and time without my car.
Luckily, he didn't hit me hard enough to knock me out into the road where the Yukon would have hit me. That would have been disaster!
Apparently, this is the second time this kid has hit someone at a yield sign. Hmm...maybe he needs to look forward to make sure the person in front of him goes before looking to the left to see if there is anyone coming so he can go. And how he thought he could beat that Yukon is beyond me...so maybe I actually stopped him from having a much worse accident. Who knows.
He was pretty young, probably a high schooler. And this was his first day at his job, probably a summer job.
Hopefully his insurance company will pay for the damages, and it will all be a quick, easy experience.
It truly is a Monday.
little accidents like that are the worst for the pointless time lost due to dealing with the insurance and repair folks. It's like a piece of your life stolen.
ReplyDeleteAnyway - I'm wondering if setting the cruise control 9mph above the speed limit is so standard - there ought to be a shortcut button on the steering wheel.
Hmmmm, you must be one of those slow people I pass on the way to work.
ReplyDelete