The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Monday, April 19, 2010

First Bradley Class

We had our first Bradley method class on Friday evening. During this class, we learned the prenatal exercises that we should be doing, including pelvic rocks, squats, Kegals, and butterflies. We had a short anatomy lesson to see where some of the organs are in relation to each other. The teacher, Sallie, had two models - one of a pelvis (along with a doll so she can demonstrate how the baby comes out) and one of the entire female pelvic area (so she can show were the bladder, uterus, etc is). We also learned some relaxation techniques at the end of the class, primarily focused on deep, regular abdominal breathing.

I already knew most of what was taught in this class. Some of it was rather basic, but the rest I learned while reading the book Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way prior to class. I've been trying to read up and learn as much as I can about the labor and delivery process. I'm currently reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.

We are also supposed to be tracking our protein intake this week. We are supposed to get between 70 and 100 grams of protein a day. Saturday I got about 66 grams and Sunday I got just about 70. It is HARD to get the recommended amount!

Next week the class is focusing more on proper nutrition, but Rob and I won't be able to attend. His fraternity Founder's Day weekend is this weekend, so we'll be going to a dinner on Friday night. Sallie is sending us the lesson plan to do on our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment