The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Emotional Roller Coaster

Wow. I guess I thought that since I didn't have a whole lot of mood swings during the first trimester, it wouldn't get any worse. But this week has been a total emotional roller coaster.

Tuesday I posted about how depressed I was getting because of the fact that I had a horrible run and was feeling fat.

Yesterday, I woke up and ran 3 miles, and it was awesome! I didn't feel tired. I didn't have to stop to use the bathroom. When I was done, I barely felt like I had run at all. I could have probably run another 3 miles, if I had time.

All day yesterday, partially because of the great run, I felt fabulous. I had a good day at work. I was in a great mood. I was productive and crossed a lot of things off my to-do list when I got home from work. It was great! Until dinner...

I have this thing about having dinner at the dinner table with the family. It's just a good, family time to slow down and enjoy each other's company, in this world of busyness, distractions, and speed. We don't have a "family" really yet, but with the baby on the way, it just seems like something that would be good for our new family to do.

Apparently, Rob was not brought up this way. He wanted to eat in the living room in front of the TV so he could watch Scrubs. He brought our plates to the living room and told me that I haven't made a good argument for eating dinner at the dinner table. He said that he didn't like having to stop his life just to eat dinner in a secluded place and that it wouldn't always work anyway because the kid would have band practice and baseball games and other things that would keep us from all being together at dinner time anyway.

I pretty much flipped out, started crying, and told him I hated him. Then in my mind I kept thinking, "why did I marry this guy?" and "do I really want to have a kid with him?" I grabbed my plate out of the living room and carried it to the table and told him to eat his dinner in front of the TV with his stupid show, and I would eat in the breakfast room by myself.

He calmed me down, and said that he wanted to sit with me and eventually brought his plate to the table also. But he sat there looking miserable and eating his food and not saying much.

So the issue is not resolved, and I'm sure it will come up again.

Come on! Show me one study that says that it's not good for a family to eat dinner together. Show me one study that says that eating dinner in front of the TV will help your family relationships and build a better family. Seriously! What's wrong with stopping what you're doing and eating together? Isn't life busy enough as it is?? Do we really need distractions during dinner time too?

No comments:

Post a Comment