The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Perpetual State of Cold

I thought I lived in the state of Georgia. But alas, I live in a perpetual state of coldness.

I love summer. I love fires in the fireplace. I love feeling the sun on my skin (although I hide cake on the sunscreen for fear of skin cancer). I love snuggling in a warm bed with my hubby. Heat relaxes me. If it could be 80 degrees all the time, inside and out, year-round, I would be in heaven. My hell wouldn't be a lake of fire...it would be a polar ice cap.

In contrast, I hate being cold. I am very cold-natured, and it seems like I am always cold. It causes tension. It makes my muscles hurt and makes me feel like I need a massage every night.

It's a good thing Alan was born in the summer, because there is no way I would have been able to relax when I was shivering to stay warm.

Being cold causes me to eat more. I guess my body feels like it needs more energy to warm me up. Winter is the real reason that people gain weight. It's not because of the apple and pumpkin pies during Thanksgiving or the Christmas cookies. It's not because the average Thanksgiving meal is 3,000 calories. It's because it's frikkin cold this time of year!!

Winter is the epitome of misery. The world looks dead with all the leaves gone, which is depressing. My hands and lips are dry and cracked. I look like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Static electricity rears its ugly head. My neck and shoulders hurt because of tension. I have to wear a bulky coat and drag it around with me all the time. My hands shrink, so my rings almost fall off. At work I have to wear a sweater and wrap a blanket around my legs to keep me warm enough for my hands to not shiver. Ice on the roads makes it dangerous to drive. Bundling up to run is no fun.

Why do we need this miserable season?

And I live in Atlanta, GA. I couldn't imagine living anywhere north of here. Every winter I remember why I want to live in Florida.

Summer, come back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment