The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Bored with Life

It seems like lately I can't take anything to completion. I get started on a project and get bored with it long before it's over. I don't feel like doing anything. Nothing is interesting to me anymore.

For example, I started a project before leaving for maternity leave. We're supposed to work on our individual development plans at work, and my career goal is to be a Chief Ethics Officer for a company. In order to see what I needed to do to reach that goal, I interviewed nine different people who were in the role of Chief Ethics or Chief Compliance Officers at various different Fortune 500 companies. I asked them about their educational background. I asked about their career progression. I asked about what skills they valued most for their job. I asked them what they would look for if they were retiring and interviewing their replacement. It was fascinating work.

Then I went on maternity leave. I had a baby. I came back to work and became bored with life.

I started working on the project again today by consolidating answers. I got not even a fourth of the way finished before I decided I didn't want to do it anymore.

I still would like to be a Chief Ethics Officer, but I don't feel like figuring out how to get there.

I thought I had gotten out of this funk, but apparently I'm so deep in it, I can't get out. I've lost the way. I can't see the light at the opening of the hole anymore. It's become a tiny dot.

I'm sitting at my desk, bored with my job, and I just want to cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment