The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Night Terror

Last night Alan went down to sleep around 8pm. He pretty much went right to sleep. He was very tired and almost fell asleep while nursing right before bed.

Around 9:30, he woke up screaming bloody murder. You would think someone was cutting his leg off or something. I tried to put the pacifier in, which usually works when he wakes up crying. But he spit it right out and cried even louder. I couldn't get him to calm down, so I picked him up to try to comfort him.

Rob came up to his room because he heard the crying on the monitor downstairs. He took him while I went downstairs to get his favorite pacifier to see if that might help. (It didn't, by the way.) When I came back up, Alan was still scream/crying. Rob was sitting with him on the floor trying to rock him and comfort him. I sat down next to Rob and we both tried to talk to him in a soothing voice. After probably twenty minutes, he finally calmed down and stopped crying uncontrollably. He sobbed quietly still for another five minutes or so while Rob rocked him and held his pacifier in his mouth. Finally Rob was able to put him back in his crib and he went back to sleep. He didn't wake back up until around 4am when I put his pacifier back in and he went right back to sleep until eating time.

What an ordeal! What can babies possibly dream about that is so bad that it scares them that much? Nothing bad has ever happened to him for him to think/dream about in his short seven month life.

Poor little guy was just pitiful, and it pained me to see him so scared. I'm just glad we hadn't gone to bed yet and that it wasn't 3am when it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment