The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Couch to Marathon in Six Months

Getting back into running after having a baby is not easy. I applaud Paula Radcliffe for winning the New York City marathon just nine short months after having her baby. That seems impossible! I can barely find time to fit in a workout around work and feedings and baths and bedtime. But Monday, April 25th starts my Couch to Marathon training guide, as I work toward the Outer Banks Marathon on November 13th.

I am not a professional (i.e. I don't get paid to do this), and I don't know if I would even call myself an expert, but I have run five marathons so far. I ran 12 miles when I was 8 months pregnant and even ran three miles the day before giving birth. I've also helped others reach their marathon and half marathon goals. I ran with my friend, Sweta, and helped her run her first marathon eight months after giving birth to her first child. I ran and encouraged my sister Stephanie through her first half marathon, and she's done at least two more since then. I ran with a stranger that I met at the starting line of the Richmond marathon, encouraging and helping him reach his goal of running his first marathon in under four hours. So, while I may not be an expert, I suppose I do know a few things that I can pass along to a beginning runner.

I have taken some workouts from the Couch to 5k training plan and my favorite training site - Hal Higdon's. I've modified them to enable us to get from no training to marathon in time for the Outer Banks Marathon. In three short workouts a week, you can get from couch to 10k in 17 weeks (about 4 months). Then we will add a fourth workout to get from 10k to marathon in the remaining time.

Click below to view the first four weeks of the Couch to Marathon training guide.


If you already have a running "base" (i.e. you already run some on a regular basis), let me know. I will modify the training plan for you and send you via email your own personalized plan.

I will also provide some running tips and tricks that I've discovered over the years on a weekly basis through this blog. I'll provide some links to resources that you can check out for more information.

WARNING: Running can become quite addictive.

Happy Running!

1 comment:

  1. Elizabeth...Will you run the Savannah Rock N' Roll Marathon with my girlfriend Lauren and me in early November? I ran 16 last weekend...getting ready for the marathon here June 25th!

    ReplyDelete