The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Monday, April 11, 2011

New Perspective

When I was younger, I never wanted kids. I worked at Wal-mart for almost four years and saw plenty of misbehaved children. It reinforced the idea that I didn't want kids. That changed about five years ago, as I got a bit older and more mature.

Now that I have a child of my own, my perspective has changed a lot. I used to be slightly annoyed at screaming children in restaurants. Now I'm the one that is making sure I'm not annoying others. I see kids now and wonder how old they are and look at how cute they are.

As of this morning, my perspective has migrated into the animal kingdom. About a month ago, a Canadian goose set up nest in the pine straw next to the parking lot at work.
We have a nice pond on our company property, so it's a perfect place to raise a little gosling. The goose sat on that nest and hissed at people passing by to protect her egg(s) for nearly a month. Friday, I noticed that the nest was empty. I assumed that the egg had hatched and the goose and gosling(s) had gone on their way.

This morning I found out otherwise. Apparently the decision was made to remove the eggs from the nest. I'm not sure how they did it and what they did with the egg, but they did it. Now there are two geese walking around the campus together looking for their missing babies.

Before having a baby of my own, I would have just laughed it off. Humans mess with the circle of life all the time. I participate, as I'm a meat-eater myself. But now I can't help but to be saddened by the fact that those poor geese are yearning for their little ones and searching high and low. It breaks my heart.

2 comments:

  1. That's incredibly sad! Is there a groundskeeper you could ask about the egg? I hope they didn't just throw it away - maybe it's in an incubator somewhere? (wishful thinking, I know... most corporate locations regard the geese as an annoyance.) Hmmmm... now you just have two pissed off momma and dadda geese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, that's so sweet of you!!! Amazing how much your perspective changes over the years. A few years ago, I would have never expected you to say something like this! :) You're the best! :)

    ReplyDelete