January was the first time Alan sat up unassisted. He turned five months. Alan was sleeping through the night by this point, but I was still nursing, which means I was getting no sleep. I took my first work trip out of town, which was a nice little break.
February was a tough month for me. I was signed up for the Myrtle Beach marathon, but wasn't trained enough to run it. I had some rough bouts of postpartum depression mostly caused by frustrations with lack of time and trying to fit running into my new mom schedule. It took me a long time to get back into the swing of things. Alan was sitting up on his own and even took his first ride in a shopping cart.
March brought with it Alan's first tooth....and his second tooth...and teething pain. My little man who had slept through the night was all of a sudden waking up three times during the night. With the pumping in the middle of the night and Alan waking up several times a night, I got no sleep.
April, when Alan was almost eight months, he started walking if we held onto both of his hands. He still hadn't crawled, but all he wanted to do was have us help him walk. In preparation for going back to daycare, Alan learned how to hold his own bottle. This month I started my Couch to Marathon training in preparation for the Outer Banks Marathon in November. I was officially fitting running back into my routine.
May was my 32nd birthday and my first Mothers Day with a child outside of the womb. I ran my first 10k since Alan was born. I missed my time goal by about 2 seconds. Alan turned nine months and learned to crawl this month. He was still walking every chance he could get us to hold his hands. He also cut his fourth tooth. He started running with me in the jogging stroller before work three times a week. Alan also went to his first professional baseball game - the Winston-Salem Dash minor league game during a roadtrip to Amy's house.
June was Alan's first trip to the beach and my first roadtrip with a baby and no husband. Rob stayed home as I went to Myrtle Beach to meet some of the mommas and babies born in the same month as Alan. Alan hated the sand, but loved the lazy river and the kiddie pool. Alan started saying his second word, "uh-oh" this month.
July was the month that I stepped up my training and focused on the marathon. I ran the Peachtree Road Race, but didn't do nearly as good as I had wanted. Alan was crawling all over the place and walking one-handed. He also had his first visit to the zoo.
August was a huge month for both mommy and baby. Alan turned one this month, which meant that I got to stop pumping. I had my first night of uninterrupted sleep in a year. I was still nursing mornings and nights, but I stopped pumping every day that I was with Alan. I could really start to get back to normal. Alan also converted from a diet of purees to table food.
September was Alan's first Braves game. He also started walking on his own. We took a roadtrip to West Virginia for the Luce family reunion. I officially stopped both nursing and pumping when I went out of town for work. I finally had my body back.
In October Alan and I went to Touch a Tractor while Rob was at a football game. Alan started learning a lot more words, although most of them were not understandable to anyone who wasn't around him often. He was able to point at a lot of different things if you asked him where they were.
In November I ran my first marathon since having Alan. I missed my time goal by about 7 minutes, but I could officially call myself a marathon mom. It was the first Thanksgiving that Alan could eat solids, so he was able to enjoy some of the Thanksgiving feast. Matt and Mimi came to visit over Thanksgiving and I ran my first half marathon since Alan was born. That race was very important, since I tried to run it the year before, and had to drop out after mile 5.
December brought with it a language explosion. Alan started trying to repeat almost any word you would tell him to say. Most of them are still not well enunciated, so they are hard for others to understand, but he's getting there. The whole family came for Christmas, and Alan was able to say every one's name. He also was able to help unwrap his gifts and enjoyed playing with his new toys.
2011 turned out well. I can't wait to see what 2012 has in store for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment