Treadmills are a great, convenient option for those who can't get outside. But there are definitely pros and cons to the giant hamster wheel, as there are with many facets of running.With the treadmill, the surface is soft and absorbs some of the shock of running. It can be ideal for people who are prone to knee or ankle injuries, as it reduces the pounding to the joints.
Treadmills also allow you to set your pace and stick to it. And if you're running with someone who does not have the same pace as you, treadmill running allows you to still run together and converse while running at your own pace.
When I was pregnant during the Hotlanta summer last year, I spent most of my days running on a treadmill inside in the comfort of my air conditioned basement. This was ideal for me at the time so that I wouldn't overheat and risk causing harm to baby Alan. With temperatures soring into the 90s combined with the humidity of summer, treadmills can be a welcome alternative to running outside and possibly suffering heat stroke or heat exhaustion.
There are also drawbacks to treadmill running though. On the treadmill you are not propelling yourself forward as you do while running on the road. If all you do is treadmill running, you may find running more difficult during a race because you haven't had to do all the work of running on a stationary surface. Treadmill running has also been known to cause shin splints in people who don't get them while running on the road because of how the treadmill pushes backwards on your feet.
Treadmills are one of the technologies that keep advancing in the running world. Recently a treadmill was invented where you can modify the gravity force to allow you to run with even less stress on your joints. This treadmill, called AlterG, is used by elite runners to allow them to train more often and harder while reducing the risk of overuse injury. Unfortunately the price tag for this machine (upwards of $25k) is a little steep for you to be able to find it in your local gym.While I prefer running outside where I can be more natural with my running, the treadmill is a wonderful option that I have often taken advantage of.
No comments:
Post a Comment