The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Friday, February 5, 2010

2nd Appointment

We had our second OBGYN appointment yesterday afternoon at 11w3d. I have gained 2lbs since the last apppointment. I was really hoping to hear the heartbeat, but no luck this time.

The first thing the doctor told us when she came in and reviewed my lab results was that I was the first completely healthy patient she had all day. That's pretty scary for the state of health of women in the area.

She had her Doppler device with her and searched for about five minutes to try to find the baby's heartbeat. After finding mine in two different places, she couldn't find the baby's. She said "you win" to the baby and had us walk across the hall to the ultrasound room.

In the ultrasound room, we had another ultrasound - this time NOT vaginal (yay!) - and were able to see the baby. Our little one is VERY active! S/he was moving around, waving his/her arms. S/he rolled over while we were watching. We could see the hands and jaw bone and legs. Very cool!

So, while we weren't able to hear the heartbeat or know how fast it is going, the movement satisfied the doctor.

I then asked the doctor, who is in much better shape than the nurse midwife I saw last time, about running the marathon a week from Saturday. She did not seem to have any problems what-so-ever. The only thing she said was to ensure I was hydrating throughout, which I do anyway. She said that I will probably feel differently afterwards than normal - more out of breath and sore - but that she didn't have any problems with me doing the race. She said that she played tennis up until two days before she delivered her baby without any problems.

The doctor also said that because we don't have any risk factors, she didn't feel the need to do any of the genetic testing that is offered, unless we absolutely wanted to. I told her I don't want any more needles than I absolutely have to have. She said that was fine and that the 20 week ultrasound would be very high-tech and would be able to identify any risks of Downs syndrome or any other genetic defects.

So, even though we didn't get to hear the heartbeat, the doctor's appointment went very well. Baby looks healthy. I'm healthy. And all is well.

My next appointment is March 2nd. I will be exactly 15 weeks at that time.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!!! I'm so glad to hear that everything is going well!! And I'm glad that you were able to ask someone that was in good shape about running the marathon. I'm sure that makes you feel better about the whole thing! Well, I'm sad to not be able to predict from the heartbeat, but I'm glad you had another ultrasound! That is soooo amazing how developed they are so early! So precious! Love you! Hope you have fun this weekend; I'm sad that I won't get to be there with you!

    ReplyDelete