The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

South Dakota Sightseeing

Today I sat out of the race (by choice), and volunteered at the water station instead.  The race was in Belle Fourche, SD (population 5,725) on a cement path that ran along the river.  


My job was to ensure that everyone's preferred drink (water, Gatorade, chocolate milk, and/or Coke) was filled when they ran past and needed it.

It was interesting to see the aid station from the other side of the table.  I was happy to cheer everyone on as they passed, and make sure everyone had what they needed.

After my "shift," we went sightseeing in the Black Hills of South Dakota.  We started out at Deadwood, which is a historic miner town.  We toured the Adams House, which was a state-of-the-art (in its time) house built in the late 1800s.  When it was built, it had plumbing, electricity, and phone service, which was almost unheard of back then.  

We then took a walking tour of the city and learned about the gold mining that helped found the city.


Then we drove the three miles to Lead, which was another mining town higher up the mountain.

We then took the scenic way back to Sundance, through the Spearfish Canyon.


We finished the night at the group dinner at Longhorn Steakhouse and Saloon in Sundance, WY.  

Tomorrow is marathon number three this week.  I'm feeling good, and not too sore.  We'll see how I feel once I'm on the road running again.  http://anython.com/running-for-sissy-simon.





No comments:

Post a Comment