The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Arriving in the center of the nation

Late last night, we arrived in Rapid City, SD to begin my marathon adventure.

After picking up our awesome ride...

...we headed to the hotel to get some rest.  

Fully rested the next morning, we explored the city.  It was a beautiful, sunny day, and the temperatures were in the 70s.

On many of the street corners in Rapid City, they have statues of our past presidents.  I decided to see what it was like to be president of the United States.

I decided I would stick with being a Compliance & Ethics manager.  After stopping for a delicious bison burger and made-from-scratch cream pies at Colonial House, we hit the road for Devil's Tower.

There isn't much going on in western South Dakota.  But soon we were in Wyomong.

We stopped to learn more about how the Indians caught their winter meals/clothing.

After a short educational stop, we were back on the road.  Our destination was Devil's Tower, which is a pretty amazing landform that was created by an old volcano.  It even looks like the lava is pouring over the side.  It is also the nation's first national monument.

As we were leaving the park, we stopped to take pictures of some wildlife.  We saw prairie dogs, turkeys, deer, Longhorns, and buffalo.
Mmmmmmm, dinner!

Closing out our first full day of vacation, we strolled down the streets of Hulett, WY in search of a quick, light meal.  We found one at Ponderosa Cafe, where I had an amazing chef salad.

I'm looking forward to hiking around Devil's Tower tomorrow, and then heading to Baker to meet the rest of the crazy people running multiple marathons in one week.

Check out why I'm doing this at http://anython.com/running-for-sissy-simon














No comments:

Post a Comment