The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Meatless March

I am three months into my month-by-month New Years Resolution challenge.  January was 10 minutes of ab exercises every day, and I managed to do it 28 of the 31 days.  The February challenge was to eat a multivitamin and drink more water every day.  I am still continuing the multivitamin without missing a day yet.

March was by far the hardest challenge.  I love meat.  Filet mignon and hot dogs both make my top five foods list. (I know; there's quite a big difference between the two.) So giving up meat was not easy.  I also had one major trip during this month, which meant I had to find places to eat out that offered vegetarian options.

I found some great recipes online that helped me through the month.  I made a casserole each week, and brought the leftovers in for my lunches at work.  For protein throughout the month, I had a protein breakfast bar most days, yogurt, eggs, skim milk and other dairy products.  I had beans every now and then in my meals as well.

Here are some of the recipes I used:
- broccoli potato bake - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broccoli-Potato-Bake/Detail.aspx
- spinach pasta casserole - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cheryls-Spinach-Cheesy-Pasta-Casserole/Detail.aspx
- eggplant and tomato bake - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Eggplant-and-Tomato-Bake/Detail.aspx
- asparagus breakfast casserole - http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Overnight-Asparagus-Mushroom-Strata/Detail.aspx

I definitely had my share of veggie burgers too.  While it is probably my least favorite one, in a pinch Burger King has a veggie burger.  It is a little too spicy for my taste.  Hard Rock Cafe has one as well, but it had too many red peppers for my liking.  My favorite veggie burger is one I bought at the store and made at home.  It is Morningstar Farms Griller Originals (available at Kroger).

My biggest challenge was eating at the airport in Washington DC before coming home from the marathon.  They didn't have very many vegetarian-friendly places. I ended up at Max and Ermas,where everything on their menu has meat in it (except the desserts).  I had them modify a salad to take off the chicken and add more eggs instead.  It was good, and very big and filling.

Interestingly, I actually gained 7 pounds during this month.  I attribute that to a few different factors.  1) It's Easter candy season, and it's hard to resist Cadberry eggs.  2)  I didn't feel nearly as full after eating a meat-free meal as I do when I eat meat.  3) I think it's a mental thing that if I'm depriving myself of one kind of food, I feel like I have to eat more to get the needed nutrients.

My next challenge will probably be my hardest of the year.  April is gluten-free month.  Wish me luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment