The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Monday, May 12, 2014

Gluten Free April



The challenge for April was to go gluten-free.  I learned a lot during this challenge.  I do not have celiac disease or a gluten allergy, so I wasn’t as strict as I would have to be if I had either of those issues.  If I went out to eat, I would consider myself “gluten free” if I got a burger and just didn’t eat the bun.  In some cases, I would eat foods that were made in a facility with gluten products, so it could have traces of gluten, but no gluten ingredients (Ben & Jerry’s Phish Food ice cream, for example).




People who have celiac disease cannot have any traces of gluten, or it messes up their stomach for months.  A co-worker of mine says she hardly ever goes out to eat, because if the restaurant prepares her food on the same counter as they prepared other food with gluten, she suffers.  Also, I found that a lot of servers and people taking orders at restaurants don’t even know what has gluten and what doesn’t. 




I started out with two mistakes, but after that, I made it the rest of the month with no problems.  It wasn’t easy, by any means, but it was doable.




On April 3rd, I was walking by one of our Admin’s desks and saw an open box of Samoa Girl Scout cookies.  Not even thinking, I picked up one of the cookies and ate it.  I then went to a meeting, and it wasn’t until I returned to my office that I realized what I had done.  There is no doubt that cookies have gluten in them.  But I was so used to being able to eat them because the month before was vegetarian month, and they don’t have meat.  That was my first fail.




On April 5th, I was eating dinner at my in-law’s house.  We were having burgers from the grill, fruit salad, and chips.  I knew I could have the fruit salad, because there is no threat of gluten there.  I looked at the Cheetos Puffs bag, and they are gluten free (made from corn instead of wheat).  And I thought that if I ate a burger without a bun, I would be okay.  Well, I like veggie burgers, and had been eating them a lot the previous month for Meatless March, so I brought them along, not even thinking to look to see if they were gluten free.  I mean, they’re veggie burgers…they’re supposed to be healthy, right?  I ate it without the bun.  The next day, I thought to myself…hmm…maybe I should look at the package and see if that burger was gluten free.  Sure enough, they are not.  Second fail.




After those two mistakes, I made a point of looking on every package.  If I was going out somewhere that wouldn’t have a package to look at, I looked it up online. 




I actually traveled for three days for work, and told them about my gluten-free diet.  They were able to accommodate, but I had to constantly ask what was in various foods, as they often forgot and gave me the normal meal.  For example, they gave us boxed lunches to go on the last day.  They supposedly made a gluten-free boxed lunch for me.  But when I opened it up, there was a cookie that was packaged just like everyone else’s.  It may have been gluten free, but it sure didn’t look like it.  So I avoided it, along with the (possibly gluten-free) bread that was on the sandwich just in case.




Kroger was a big help in going gluten free.  They have little brown indicators on all of their price tags that will tell you when the food is gluten free.  I hadn’t really been much of a Greek yogurt fan until this month.  It is much creamier and has way more protein than regular yogurt.  Greek Yogurt was pretty much the only yogurt I could find that was labeled gluten free, and I typically eat yogurt every week day.  Chobani Greek Yogurt is gluten free, and very yummy.




A few great things that I found during this month include Sally’s Bakery and Pamela’s baking mix.  Sally’s Bakery is located on Roswell Road near Whole Foods and not far from I-285.  The Bakery is completely gluten-free, but makes delicious bread, frozen pizza, cupcakes, cookies, cakes, pies, and other goodies.  The bread is very good…the first couple of days.  After that, it starts to smell and taste funny.  The cupcakes were delicious – very moist and chocolaty.  The cookies were okay, but a little too crunchy for my liking.  It is a little pricey, but not too bad.  Pretty much what you would expect if you were buying bread from an actual bakery.




Pamela’s baking mixes was a find at Kroger.  They are located in the Natural Food area of the store and are in black packaging.  I tried the brownie mix.  There are several ways to make it listed on the package, and I made it the fudgy brownie way.  They are the best brownies I have ever tasted!  In fact, going forward, I may just make those instead of regular brownies (for me…I know Rob loves my regular brownies).  I never tried the other baking mixes, but after the delicious brownies, I would be willing to try anything else made by the same company.




Some things that I tried that I didn’t like are gluten free bagels, gluten free pizza (if you like thin crust, it tastes fine, but I prefer thick crust), gluten free bread (after about three days), and gluten free pasta.  Gluten free pasta isn’t bad as long as you cook it about 2-3 minutes less than regular pasta.  I made the mistake of cooking it the same length of time as I normally would, and it was mushy.




So, I had two mistakes in a 30-day month, and I learned a lot.  I would call that a success.  Thankfully, I can let my diet get back to normal, as May is Conscious Cardio month.

No comments:

Post a Comment