The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Weekend Scare

This past weekend, we had a bit of a scare.

I understand that the first trimester is the most critical in that the chance of having a miscarriage is much higher than the other two trimesters. That is the main reason for us not telling many people that we are expecting this baby.

The day after we got the positive home pregnancy results, I started spotting. I looked up on the internet about spotting during the first trimester, and the site said there were three reasons for it to happen: a vaginal infection, implantation as the baby is expanding and affecting more of the uterus, and intercourse. Well, we had a celebratory romp in the sack the night before, so after the spotting went away the next day, I didn't think any more of it.

Over this past weekend, I started spotting again. It wasn't a lot, but it was enough to require a panty liner. Sunday morning when I went to the bathroom, there were three thick drops of blood in the toilet - two that looked like blood and one that looked like it could be tissue or cells or something. This made me very nervous. Additionally, my breast tenderness seemed to subside some. I didn't have any cramping or back pain, but the decrease in pregnancy signs and the spotting put me on alert. I seriously thought that maybe this pregnancy was over.

I told my sister about the situation. So now my sister and Sweta know about the pregnancy.

When we returned from DC, I went to the doctor. They were able to see me and discussed my symptoms. They decided to do a vaginal ultrasound to confirm that the baby was okay. Aside from the slight uncomfort of a dildo-looking thing being stuck inside me, the ultrasound went very well. The doctor was able to see the baby and determine that it was in the right place. The measurements confirm that it appears to be about 6 weeks old - a due date of around August 22, 2010.

The doctor said that if I had any more spotting, unless it was coupled with cramping or was very heavy, I shouldn't even think twice about it. We haven't had a miscarriage...yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment