The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Years resolution

How many people actually make a resolution and stick to it for the entire year?  Have you ever actually done that?  Apparently only about 8% of people keep their New Year's resolutions.  I'm sure it's true.  I see it every year.  The gym is packed in January, still full in February, but by March it's as dead as October.  Only the true gym rats (like me) make it last the second or third month.

So this year, I have decided to do a new resolution every month.  I figure, it's hard to keep something up for 365 days, but how hard could it be to keep it up for 31 days?  If I decide I like it, I can keep going, but I'll have something new to focus on in the next month.  This is what I'm thinking:

January will be the month of abs.  For the entire month, I will do at least 10 minutes of ab work right before bed.  Maybe I'll increase the time each week, and I'll probably switch up the exercises, but every day I will do at least 10 minutes of ab work.

February will be multivitamin month.  I will have a multivitamin every day for the full month.

March is meatless March.  I'm going to attempt to be a vegetarian for the entire month of March.  I figure this will expand my menu.  I can experiment more with vegetables, pastas, beans, etc.

In April, I'm going to attempt to go gluten-free.  My sister says she has a lot of recipes she's used for my brother-in-law when he tried to go gluten-free for health reasons.

In May, I am going to do at least 30 minutes of conscious cardio every day.  When I say conscious cardio, I mean that I can't get to the end of the day and say, "well, I probably did 30 minutes if you count all of the times I was moving.  It took me five minutes to walk from my car into the office..."  No.  I actually have to be purposefully doing 30 minutes of cardio for it to count.

June will be strength training month.  I will do strength training every day.  Maybe I'll get a one-month CrossFit membership.

During July, I'm going to attempt to not eat any fast food.  I define fast food as a place that has a drive thru and/or where they don't take your order at the table.  So Cheeseburger Bobby's would be fast food.  They don't have a drive thru, but they don't take your order at the table or expect you to tip.  Steak n Shake would be fast food (although they are NEVER fast) because they have a drive thru option.

August I'll do P90X or Insanity every day.

September will be no sweets month.  No cakes, candy, brownies, cookies.  I'm going to attempt to eat as little sugar as possible, live like a diabetic (since it runs in my family and one day I may have to do this anyway).  The only sweet thing I will be able to eat is ice cream.  I can't give up that.

October will be push up month.  I'll do 25 push ups in the morning and 25 push ups at night every day.

November will be food diary.  This is perfect since November is the month where the holiday endulgences begin.  If I have to write down everything I eat, maybe if won't eat as much as I would normally.

December will be a low carb month.  I'll attempt to eat as low carb as possible, close to a South Beach diet.  Again, this will be helpful during the holidays so I don't over eat.

Sounds simple enough, right?  Who wants to join me?  You can do anything for 30 days at a time.  Let's make 2014 the year of health and successful New Year's resolutions.

1 comment: