The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Marathon #6

Last Sunday was my first marathon since Alan was born and my sixth marathon overall. Almost exactly two years before, I had run my best marathon in Richmond, VA in three hours and fifty-seven minutes. That was my marathon PR (personal record), but it had an asterisk next to it - it was before I had a baby. I was hoping to get close to that time during this marathon so I could take away that asterisk and still be a sub-4 hour marathoner.

Last weekend we traveled to the outer banks of North Carolina to pursue that dream. The marathon went well, and I finished, but I missed my four hour goal by about six minutes. My final time was 4:06:49.

I'm definitely disappointed in myself. I forgot my Garmin and there were no pace teams, so I couldn't pace myself well. I went out too fast, and burned out toward the end. I had to stop and wait in line at a porta-potty near mile 18. Mile 22-23 was a monster hill on a bridge over the sound, which sucked the last bit of energy from me. But all these are just excuses. I could have run six minutes faster.

My next try is January 15th where I will run the Arizona Rock n Roll marathon in Phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment