The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Marathon #26 - Kansas

This year, we are really watching our money, and are trying to cut back as much as possible due to the  adoption.  For my 26th marathon, I chose Kansas.  I was looking for some back-to-backs to do this year, because I can finish two states for the price of one.  There was a race in Kansas on Saturday and one in Arkansas on Sunday, so I decided to check them out.  The states in the middle of the country also allow me to spend some time with my sister, who lives in Missouri.

The Race:  Wicked Marathon in Wamego, KS on March 28, 2015

My training plan:  Since I knew I was doing back-to-back marathons, I did plenty of back-to-back long runs on the weekend.  I did two 20/15 miles runs, plenty of other back-to-back long runs on weekends, and three back to back shorter training runs each week during the week 6-8 miles each) starting in January.

The weather:  The weather started out cold and sunny.  The start was around 40 degrees, and it got into upper 40s or low 50s by end.  There was a good deal of wind during the second half (it was at our backs during the first half).  The weather was nearly perfect for a marathon (less the wind).

Running attire:  This was the first race that I actually dressed in a costume.  I wore a Dorothy running costume created by the iGlowRunning Etsy shop, which is actually based in Atlanta.  I also wore a long sleeved shirt underneath, white tights, and gloves.  I spray-painted my running shoes red and got LED flashing red laces from NiteBeams,.

Who I ran with:  Because I knew I was running another marathon the next day, I didn't want to go any faster than 4:30.  The race is small, so there are no pace groups.  So I decided to make my own pace group.  I started out running with Sheila from South Dakota.  I had met her in a previous back-to-back race and have seen her in another race between then and now.   Toward the beginning, I asked the people around me what they were planning to run and if they wanted to run a 4:30.  We had as many as 6 people over the course of the race, and finished with 3.  I ran with Rich from Plano, TX the entire way.  Jenn from Lincoln NE started out with us.  Shawn from Virginia came up behind us about a quarter of the way into the race, so I asked if he wanted to join our pace team.  We passed Jackie from Boulder, CO around mile 10 and asked if she wanted to join us.  Jenn and Shawn eventually dropped back slightly, but Rich and Jackie stuck with me to the end.


Course:  The course was an out-and-back course with rolling hills,
and was very well marshaled..  The course was not a closed course.  There wasn't 'a lot of traffic on most of the course, but we did have several cars passing by us.  There was a stretch of road between mile 11 and 13 that was on the shoulder of a major road with 60 mph traffic..  The last 5 miles were on concrete and mostly uphill..  A couple spots along the course were smelly.  There was a skunk smell around mile 6 and a manure smell around mile 14.

Organization:  The race was a very small race, and it was in its second year of running.  With that being said, it had pretty good organization.  There was no expo, and you picked up your race packet at the sponsor's location.  They offered shuttle buses for those who were staying in Manhattan (the closest town with most of the hotels).  They also had shuttle buses from the race-day registration to the start line.  Parking was at the High School, where they had race day packet pickup and bathrooms.  The communication was very good, and the emails that went out prior to the race had all the necessary information.  They had a facebook page that provided information leading up to the race as well.  Their race website was pretty poor, though, with very little information.  It did have a mapmyrun course map, which was nice. 

Water stops were intermittent at best.  There was nothing between 13 and 16 when we were passing through.  It looked like there might have been water stops but they had closed down early and left.   The water stops that were manned had both water and Gatorade throughout the course, which was very nice.  The last two water stops also had food:  Cliff Bars and Skittles.  The Cliff Bar was definitely welcomed at that point in the race.

There were no porta potties at the start line, but that was clearly communicated in the pre-race emails.  They had said that there would be porta potties along the course, but we didn't see any until mile 6.   There were no timing mats or people checking at turn-around, so you could have easily turned around early and no one would have known.  There was supposed to be a costume contest, which I would have entered, but I had no idea how to enter it, as there were no signs or information.  They did post the winner on the facebook page, but it would have been nice to know how to enter.
 
Swag:  The swag at this race was the typical metal and shirt.  The shirt was a nice, soft dry fit material, and I think it was gender specific, because it looked like it would actually fit me.  They also gave us last year's metal.  The metals are a series, and they wanted us to have the first in the series to encourage us to come back next year to finish it out.

Starting line:  There literally was nothing at the start line.  It was in the middle of nowhere.  You had to take a shuttle from the High School to the start.  It was clearly stated in the pre-race emails that there was no parking or bathrooms at the start.  It was actually hard for me to even find something to lean up against to stretch.  I had to use a road sign.  The company that did the race timing was there setting up mats.  They must have brought their stuff in a small U-Haul type truck, because runners were crowded in there trying to stay warm.

Fans:  My favorite fans were my sister Stephanie, her two girls, and my son.  We made race signs, and they parked between mile 10 and 11 on the way out and 15 and 16 on the way back to cheer us on.  There were not many other fans, except at the water stops.  Other than at the water stops, any people I saw didn't really cheer for runners they didn't know.  If you need fan support to get you through a race, this is not the race to choose.  I don't necessarily need fan support, so the support from my sister and the kids were enough for me.

Finish line:  The race finished right in front of the Oz Museum in downtown Wamego.  It was a cute little downtown area, typical of a small town.  They called out your name and where you were from as you crossed the finish line, which is always nice.  They had Wizard of Oz costumed people at end that you could get a picture with.  They had free massages (but the line was long and there was only one masseuse by the time we finished.  Stephanie said they started out with three for the earlier finishers.  For food, they had bananas, apples and oranges.  For hydration, they had Gatorade and water. 

There were no porta potties at the finish.  They were directing runners to either use the bathroom in the museum or go back to the High School, which was several blocks away, if they needed a bathroom.  This is a definite improvement area, since by the time I'm done with a race, I pretty much need a bathroom ASAP.

Results:  4:28:09

How I felt:  I felt pretty good most of the way and enjoyed helping others out to get to their goal of 4:30.  This race gives me the confidence that I could actually be a decent pacer in other future races.  I even made a pit-stop at mile 20 and was able to catch back up to the group.

Travel/tourism:    We stayed at the Hampton Inn in Manhattan, which is the town where Kansas State is located.  They had a free breakfast that included hot items like eggs, bacon, waffles, etc.  They also have free internet, nice bathrooms with separate shampoo and conditioner and big towels, and a refrigerator and microwave.  They have pretty comfortable  beds,  but weren't able to give us a roll-away in the double queen room because there wasn't enough room.  They had a decent sized, indoor pool that the kids took advantage of the night before the race.  They were not able to offer a late checkout though because they were booked the next night.

The night before the race, as is tradition, we ate at the local IHOP.  Manhattan is a college town, and they had an IHOP so I could get my pre-race pancakes.  We also went to Freddy's Frozen Custard and Steakburgers for dessert for the kids.  Unfortunately, I can't eat ice cream the day before a race, so I wasn't able to enjoy it.  But the kids said it was yummy.
 
Wamego is a small town, so there isn't much to do in the way of tourism.  The race did end at the Oz Museum, so that was an option.  The museum costs $5 per child and $8 per adult.  Because of the cost, we didn't go inside, but the gift shop was nice. 

I asked for "local fast food" ideas on the facebook page and was recommended Kreem Kup, We tried it out after the race, and it was pretty good.   They serve hamburgers, chicken, hot ham & cheese, and other fast food options.  I got a 1/3 lb Angus burger and fries.  Their fries were a little crispy, so my dad would have loved them, but I'm more a fan of softer fies.

Kansas people are pretty friendly and nice.  I called the YMCA in Topeka the week before to see if they would let me use their shower, since the hotel didn't offer a late checkout.  They were kind enough to let me do so, free of charge.  Topeka was on our way between Wamego, KS and my next marathon in Arkansas, so it was convenient to stop on the drive after the race.

 Overall, the Wicked Marathon was a great race.  The organization was great (for a second year race), and I'm sure it will only get better.  Great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment