The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Foot update

It's official.  I won't be going to Seattle this weekend.

I went to the doctor for a check up on my foot today.  I got good news and bad news, but more bad news than good.

It looks like the bone is not healed yet.  I didn't really expect it to be.  It's only been five weeks from the time of the break, and four weeks from the time I stopped walking/running on it.  So it hasn't even been the traditional "six to eight weeks" of healing time for a broken bone.  The new piece of information I gained was that the piece of bone that broke free and is sticking into the inside of my foot is never going away.  It's like a permanent splinter.  But the bones around where it broke free are supposed to heal back together.

The foot is still swollen from what the doctor calls "turf toe."  He said this kind of injury will normally keep football players out for the season because it keeps flaring up and they need that part of the foot to push off in what they do.  He mentioned doing some injections, and I quickly changed the subject. 

The good news is that he said he didn't think I could do anything that would cause permanent damage to the foot or any other part of my body.  It's just about managing the pain and swelling right now and working toward regaining all range of motion in the foot.  If I stay off it for another couple of weeks, I should still be able to do the Peachtree.

Next stop - the neurologist appointment on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment