But running isn't always the bee's knees (who came up with that saying ??). Many times when I mention something that is a part of running (and I don't really even think twice about) to my husband, he says something to the effect of "and you think that is going to make me want to run?" So I thought I'd break it down here for anyone interested. Hopefully this doesn't deter anyone from falling in love with running, as I have.
The Good
There are so many good things about running, that I'm probably going to forget some of them as I make this list. In my opinion, The Good far outweighs any of the other categories, which is why I keep running.
- Running helps you maintain your weight (or lose weight).
- Running improves (or at least helps to maintain) bone density that tends to be lost slowly (particularly in women) as you age.
- Running gives you that runner's high that I talked about. Webster defines it as a feeling of euphoria that is experienced by some individuals engaged in strenuous running and that is held to be associated with the release of endorphins by the brain.
- Running allows you to eat more ice cream (or whatever your vice is) and not feel as guilty about it.
- Running is good for your social life. Runners tend to flock together, so if you're looking for new friends, just start running and you will likely find some. Whether it be in a organized running group, or some people you meet on your running route, or people you meet in a race, runners tend to be friendly and always open to chat with other runners. I am typically not very good at carrying on conversations with people until I get to know them pretty well, but I can go on and on about running and races that I've run with anyone interested in listening.
- You don't need much to be a runner. A pair of good shoes and an open road is all you need to start. The other things (additional running attire, training plans, race registrations, etc) will come as your interest grows, but are not necessary right away.
- Running clears your brain and helps you think more clearly. Often times when I get stuck on something at work, I go for a run, and the answer just comes to me.
- Running is as challenging as you make it. You are competing against yourself, primarily, when you run - trying to better your own time, accomplish a new distance, or work toward your own goal. I shy away from playing team sports because I'm afraid that I will let the rest of the team down. With running, you are the one that controls your own destiny.
The Bad
- Running can be dangerous. There have been plenty of stories about injuries or deaths that have come out of running. Runners get hit by cars. Runners get mugged or raped. Runners die of heat exhaustion after a hot Chicago marathon. There are plenty of excuses that people can find regarding safety that can deter them from running. However, if you are smart when you run, this can become a non-issue. Stay alert and aware of your surroundings. Don't assume that just because you have the walk signal that the cars are going to automatically let you go. Make eye contact with drivers before crossing. Make eye contact with pedestrians as you pass them. Wear reflective clothing and/or a reflective vest. Run with a friend. Run when it is light outside. Observe proper hydration methods, and don't over-exert yourself if it is hot. All of these things can help to reduce the danger risk.
- Running can cause injuries. Especially if you are drastically increasing the amount of time or distance that you run, you can be much more susceptible to injury than someone who is doing non-weight-bearing activities. Not only can it cause injuries, but if you have injuries already, you won't be able to run. Many people have back or knee problems that may prevent them from running. While running doesn't necessarily cause back or knee injuries, it may highlight them to someone who already has them or is hereditarily prone to those types of injuries. Always consult a doctor before starting any sort of new exercise program, including running.
- Running isn't for everyone. While most people can get out there and run with little background or effort, obviously if someone has serious physical limitations (think paralysis or something similar), they can't run. Although there have been many instances where people have overcome major obstacles to become runners. A friend of mine was a guide for a blind runner in the New York City marathon. There has also recently been a case where a person who was paralyzed from the chest down was able to complete a marathon with the help of some sort of special suit (although I think it took her over a week to finish).
The Ugly
Running messes with your digestive system. You can develop a serious case of the "runs" (pun intended) due to the beating your bowels take on long distance runs. My sister-in-law once called me to ask if runners actually go in their pants because they don't want to lose time by stopping. I have no idea if some people do that, but I have never seen an elite runner stop during a race to go to the bathroom. I will say that I have gone in the bushes on the side of the road more than once when there was no bathroom in sight during training runs. When nature calls, you can't ignore it.
So there you have it. Like I said, I'm sure I left some out of The Good list, and I truly believe The Good far outweighs The Bad or The Ugly. If I didn't, I wouldn't continue to run. As it is, running will continue to be a huge part of who I am.
What would you add to these lists?
No comments:
Post a Comment