The Simon family has decided to follow God's calling to adopt a little girl from Albania. Read more about our journey here.

Friday, January 21, 2011

A little vacation from being a mommy

This week was my first work trip away from Alan. Let me tell you, I needed it. Last weekend Rob was away for four days, leaving me alone with Alan. By Monday, he was difficult to tolerate. He wouldn't eat without screaming. He didn't want to be put down. Part of this was due to him getting vaccinations that morning, but I was about ready to pull my hair out. Working from home on Monday was nearly impossible. At one point, when he wouldn't eat, I had to lock him in his room crying while I took a conference call with my boss. It was only for about 20 minutes, but it was rough.

Needless to say, I needed a break from being a mommy. I don't know how single moms do it, especially single moms without family nearby.

This week, I flew to Dallas on Wednesday morning and back on Friday morning. It was really only a two day trip, but I feel refreshed and ready to tackle the job of mommy once again.

I will say that I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping that Rob would get a taste of his own medicine for leaving me alone for four days. But instead, his mom did all the work. On Wednesday, Rob was at our house "getting stuff done" after work while Alan was at his mom's house. He didn't head over to his mom's house until 8:30 at night. I'm sure by the time he got there, Alan was already tucked away in bed, and Rob didn't have to play dad at all that day. I'm also sure that Rob's mom probably did all of the nighttime care as well, even though Rob stayed over at his mom's house. So even when I'm not there, Rob gets off easy. >:-[

I wish I was a daddy instead of a mommy. Life would be so much easier. You just get to play with the baby, and when he needs something you get to hand him back off to the mommy. It's almost like being an aunt. Or a grandmother (most of the time).

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got away and 'recharged' your batteries a bit.

    It's soooo very easy to get disgruntled with the way the parenting chores get split (and Mommy always ends up doing so much more!).
    It took a few months for Chris and I to attack parenting as a "team," and not as a "it's your turn to do the chores" approach... It was fine for me to do so much more while I was on maternity leave, but after I started back to work, we had a bit of a sit-down discussion on our expectations and needs. That helped a LOT! And once Daddy realized his presence is needed just as much as Mommy's... it's so much better (for Alan and for you both!)

    Might be time to ditch the traditional male/female roles... jus' sayin. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete